Skip to main content
  1. Blog/

How to Get a Drone License in Montana (Explained for Beginners) 

9 mins
Drone Blog
Table of Contents

Between the Acton Recreation Area and Two Moon Park, Montana offers many attractive sites brimming with possibilities for drone pilots.

You only need to hold a valid FAA license to explore them. 

How to get a drone license in Montana?

Here’s how to get a drone license in Montana:

  • Pass the basic FAA requirements
  • Get an FAA Tracking Number
  • Register at a Montana FAA Knowledge Testing Center
  • Study for the Part 107 exam
  • Knock the exam out of the park
  • **Send in Form 8710-13 and wait for your cert **

It may sound easy on the surface, but once you start going about it, you’ll realize it’s decidedly less so. I still remember when I first registered for my license, and boy, what a headache.

I’m here to save you from the same stress by presenting all the steps needed to become an official commercial drone license holder.

Here’s how to obtain a drone license in Montana #

Becoming a commercial drone license holder in Montana opens a world of possibilities.

You can fly in more locales (legally, of course) and make money from your drone, whether you capture the latest news, do surveying, take real estate imagery, or sell your footage to the highest bidder.

It all begins with these steps here, making this a very exciting time! 

Pass the basic FAA requirements #

Before you let your thoughts run away with you, make sure you know the FAA’s rules on who can take the Unmanned Aircraft General – Small UAG exam. 

» MORE: How I Passed Part 107 (& The Course That Helped Me do That)

Fortunately, there aren’t many rules, but you can’t bypass any. First, you must be at least 16. Second, you must in a good mental and physical condition. 

Then, you need a strong grasp of English. It doesn’t have to be your first language, but you should read, speak, and understand it. 

Get an FAA Tracking Number #

With the first step behind you, you can now begin the process of becoming an FAA commercial drone pilot. 

That begins by entering the FAA system with your own tracking number.

As that name tells you, an FAA Tracking Number or FTN is how the aeronautics agency monitors your activity.

Since the FAA can’t be everywhere all at once, your FTN tells them if you’ve done something illegal, so they can decide the necessary repercussions. 

All commercial drone pilots need an FTN unless they already have one. For example, if you’ve done other aeronautics activities under the FAA besides flying a drone, you should already have an FTN. 

For those reading this who don’t, it’s time to create an account on the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application, abbreviated as IACRA. 

Here’s how to do it. Visit the IACRA homepage. To the right, you will see a login box, and below that, a Register link. That’s what you want, so click it.

The IACRA registration is a two-page form, but it goes quick.

The first section only requires you to check some boxes, but don’t do it willy-nilly. As a new drone pilot, you only need to check applicant unless you’re an instructor or certifying officer.

You also have to check the box for the IACRA terms of service to continue.

The User Profile Information page has some sections you can skip, such as the Certificate Information section right at the top. 

Next, fill in the Personal Information section, which is straightforward enough. Add your full name, gender, email address, and birthdate. 

IACRA requires you to create and answer two security questions to protect your account.

Then, there’s the part you’ve been waiting for, creating your account. Type your password again to confirm it, click the Register button, and IACRA will confirm your account via email.

Once you log in, you will have an FTN. Keep it handy, as you’ll need it shortly. 

Register at a Montana FAA Knowledge Testing Center #

You’re getting closer to taking the Part 107 exam to obtain your Remote Pilot Certificate. Now that you have an FTN, you can register to take your test at the nearest FAA Knowledge Testing Center.

Knowledge Testing Centers are in-person examination facilities across America, including in Montana. They’re the only place to take the Unmanned Aircraft General – Small (UAG) exam. 

How do you find one? You need an account on PSI, the FAA testing resource.

Click here to begin your PSI registration. After choosing Create an Account, you must verify your identity, inputting your FTN. I told you it would come in handy shortly!

Once PSI verifies your identity, you can continue with account creation. 

The User Registration screen allows you to create a username and password (which you must type twice to confirm). You can also select your preferred language. Don’t forget to add your full name before clicking Continue.

That’s about all there is to it. PSI will send you an email confirmation, so check your main inbox. It might also be incorrectly marked as spam, so look in that folder too.

Once you see the PSI email, open it, and click the link to verify your account. 

Now, you can log into PSI and register for the Part 107 exam.

Select the Find a Test Center menu on the PSI website, typing your postal code. You can select your country, preferred travel distance, and exam type from dropdowns. Choose Unmanned Aircraft General – Small (UAG) for the exam type.

You will see a list of Knowledge Testing Centers. Pick the one most convenient for you, choose a date and time for your exam, and you’re ready to get rolling. 

Study for the Part 107 exam #

The aeronautical knowledge test has 60 multiple-choice questions that cover topics such as:

  • Flying at night
  • Preflight inspection requirements
  • Drone maintenance
  • Airport rules
  • How alcohol and drugs affect drone flight
  • Radio communications
  • Emergency procedures
  • Drone loading
  • Weather effects
  • Airspace rules and classifications
  • Drone regulations

It’s a lot, and since you can only get 18 questions wrong and still pass, oh, and since the exam costs $165 per attempt, you want to give it your best. 

You could study on your own time, but you risk gaps in your knowledge. You don’t want to feel blindsided by a question on the exam that’s the difference between you passing and failing. 

That’s why we here at Droneblog recommend these Part 107 online training courses.

They’re the leading test prep classes that will fill you with all the knowledge you need to pass the Part 107 exam during your initial attempt. You’ll soon become a certified pilot and enjoy all the fun of that.

We have courses from:

  • Pilot Institute
  • Drone Pilot Ground School
  • Altitude University
  • Drone Launch Academy
  • Drone Pro Academy, and more.

Each course is worth its weight in gold, offering video and text lessons, practice quizzes, and one-on-one instruction as needed so you’re adequately prepared to pass. 

It’s the right call for your future. The course material will pay back dividends when you don’t have to shell out $165 a second time.

If you still have your doubts, know that many of these courses will pay for a second try at the Part 107 exam if you fail after taking the course. You can also get your full course refund. So, why not try one? 

Knock the exam out of the park  #

You should feel assured in your drone knowledge as you prepare to take the Unmanned Aircraft General – Small (UAG) exam, but you might still be nervous. That’s natural! Try to take a deep breath and remember – you’ve got this!

You must have a form of ID on you to sit down to take the Part 107 exam at the FAA Knowledge Testing Center. I recommend a valid driver’s license, but your passport can also suffice. Your ID must have your photo. 

Otherwise, you don’t need to bring anything else. You can always take a protractor if you really want, or perhaps a math calculator, but you can also take the test just fine without these tools. They’re the only type of extra tools allowed in the testing room. 

You will have two and a half hours to take the test, which should be enough time. 

After you take the exam, your Knowledge Test Exam ID could appear in as little as 48 hours, as can your test results. In most cases, you will wait longer, possibly weeks. Don’t panic. It happens.

Once your results are finally ready, they will appear in your IACRA account. 

Send in Form 8710-13 and wait for your cert  #

If you passed, you must only complete one more step to obtain your Part 107 certificate: sending in FAA Form 8710-13. 

You can do this all digitally through IACRA. This form officially requests your drone certificate. Log into IACRA, choose Start New Application, then select Pilot under Application Type. 

Next, pick Remote Pilot under the Certifications section. Navigate to Other Path Information, then click Start Application. Input your Knowledge Test Exam ID, then digitally sign your application.

Once you send it in, IACRA will email you with a printable version of your Remote Pilot Certificate. Well, there’s one stage in between, a TSA background check. 

This happens internally, so there’s nothing you have to do after sending in your application. If you pass, you’ll get your license. 

You might wonder why you got your commercial drone license through email of all places. The FAA will send your permanent Part 107 license in the mail, but it needs time to process your application. 

The printed version works just the same, so use it until then. 

I have my drone license in Montana – Now what? #

Congratulations on becoming a bonafide commercial drone license holder in Montana. There’s still some more tasks on your plate before you launch your drone for the first time!

For instance, have you registered your drone yet? You have to when using it commercially, even if it weighs under 250 grams. You can register the drone through the FAA. 

Next, do you have drone insurance?

I know, I know, Montana doesn’t require it, but you should still have it. It’s for your safety, after all, and your financial standing, as you won’t have to pay out-of-pocket for property damage repairs and hospital bills. 

Do you know Montana’s drone laws? Statewide, there’s HB 664 prohibiting pilots from using their drones to interrupt “aerial wildfire suppression efforts.” 

I know that before, I mentioned your drone license is permanent, but that just refers to the state of the license versus the one you printed. It will still expire in two years either way.

However, you now have an easier and more effortless pathway to renewal than ever before. It’s free, and you can do it online, so you don’t have a lapse in your commercial license. Check out our overview of the process here.****


DJI Mavic 3 Pro vs. Phantom 4 Pro (Here’s My Choice)
12 mins
Drone Blog
Best SD Cards for Holy Stone HS720E
8 mins
Drone Blog
Can You Fly a Drone in the United States of America?
8 mins
Drone Blog
Can DJI Avata Do Flips? (Explained for Beginners)
7 mins
Drone Blog
Can You Fly a Drone in Waimea Canyon?
7 mins
Drone Blog
Best Beginner Drones for FPV
11 mins
Drone Blog