Table of Contents
One of the most important components of a drone is its main board or motherboard. The official definition of a motherboard is that it’s the main printed circuit board within your computer. This means that it’s the main piece of circuitry that all other pieces connect to create a cohesive whole.
The motherboard is the backbone that ties all of your drone’s components together and allows them to communicate with each other. So as you can see, your drone’s mainboard is quite essential. Sometimes, however, you may be forced to replace your drone’s mainboard. If you own a Yuneec drone, and especially if you’ve been having issues, you may be wondering when you may need to replace your drone’s mainboard.
**You only need to replace your mainboard if it’s broken or defective. A drone motherboard can last 5-10 years, so it’s unlikely that you will need to replace it. **
**Signs that you need to replace the motherboard include: **
- Drone powering off unexpectedly
- **Drone not turning on **
- A burning smell/chemical smell from your drone
- Erratic flight controls
In this article, we will discuss all that relates to your Yuneec drone’s mainboard, including how to replace it and much more. If this is something you’re wondering about, read on to find out more.
When should I replace my Yuneec mainboard? #
The mainboard, otherwise known as the motherboard, is one of, if not the most important components of your drone. You most likely have heard the word motherboard, but do you really know what it is? And what its purpose is in your drone?
The motherboard is the spine of your drone; it is the link between all the different components inside it. It is the main circuit board that connects all the different parts of your drone. It links all the individual parts of your drone, allowing you to control these separate parts.
Some of the functions of the motherboard include:
- The central backbone of a drone on which other modular parts are installed.
- Responsible for distributing power to the various components of the drone.
- Used in coordination with the various components of the drone to maintain an interface among them all.
Without the motherboard, or if the motherboard is damaged, your drone would be virtually unusable. This is why it’s always important to maintain the motherboard in mint condition.
Since it’s such a crucial element, at times you may be forced to replace your Yuneec drone’s motherboard. It can be especially confusing to new drone owners as to when this is necessary. Many people often wonder when they should replace their drone’s mainboard. Well, if you are wondering the same thing, I have just the answer you are looking for.
You are only required to replace your Yuneec drone’s main board if the motherboard is either defective or broken. If your drone’s current mainboard is in good working order, then there really isn’t a reason to fix it unless you’re having issues with it.
Mainboards, if looked after, can last for 5-10 years or even more. So, the only thing that may necessitate the replacement of the mainboard of your drone is if it becomes damaged or it dies.
Luckily, there are several ways you can tell if your drone’s mainboard is dead and that it requires replacement. These include:
- Drone powering off unexpectedly – If your drone keeps turning off for no particular reason, then this may mean the mainboard is fried.
- Drone not turning on at all – If your drone isn’t turning on at all, then this may mean it’s time to replace the mainboard.
- A burning smell/chemical smell emanating from your drone – If your drone has a tell-tale smell of burning plastic or a chemical smell coming from it, the mainboard may be fried.
- The drone is flying erratically – If your drone is flying erratically and you have confirmed that everything else is OK, this may mean the issue is with the mainboard, in which case it needs replacing.
Under normal circumstances, there is a very small possibility that you will have to replace your drone’s mainboard. But, if it gets damaged for some reason, we’ll discuss how to replace your Yuneec drone’s mainboard.
How to replace my Yuneec mainboard? #
If your drone isn’t functioning the way you expect it to, then the mainboard may be damaged, and you’ll have to replace it. Some of the tools you’ll need include:
- Anti-static wrist strap with alligator clip (find it on Amazon)
- Phillips head screwdriver size PH000
- Replacement motherboard for your drone (find replacement parts here)
- Start by putting on an ESD wrist strap to prevent injury to yourself or damage to the drone from Electro-Static Discharge (ESD).
- Remove the battery and flip the drone upside down so that the propellers are resting on the table surface and the camera is facing up.
- Carefully grasp the cover that protects the wires and give it a slight pull to detach it.
- Remove the 4 rubber plugs that hold the drone and the internal parts together. You can find these plugs at each corner of the drone, and they are white.
- Unplug the 4 cables connected to the top face of the frame.
- Unplug all of the remaining wires, using a pair of tweezers if necessary.
- Lift or tilt the entire frame and motherboard and unplug all the wires from the underside.
- The battery connector has 2 wires connected to a plug-in with 2 screws. Use your Phillips head screwdriver to unscrew these and pull the battery connector apart from the board frame using the tweezers.
- Flip over the frame and motherboard so that you can unscrew the motherboard from the frame. There are 4 screws, one on each corner of the motherboard.
- After you have removed the screws, pull out the motherboard gently with your hands. Remove the motherboard from the device.
- Get your replacement motherboard and follow the above instructions in reverse order to reassemble your drone.
If this sounds like a project above your expertise or comfort level, you can always take your drone into a repair technician to get an estimate and get the job done for you. Before buying any repair parts, make sure to price out the cost of parts and make sure it’s worth the cost, or whether it’s more cost-effective to simply buy a new drone.
In conclusion, the only reason you may need to replace your drone’s motherboard is if it’s damaged in any way and your drone isn’t responding as it should. Hopefully, this article has enlightened you on identifying if your Yuneec drone’s motherboard needs replacement and how you can go about replacing it if it does.
Image Credit: Yuneec